Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Artistic Inspiration: Then and Now...Day 3


Today is the third day of the Virtual Gallery Walk and my day to share my art.  I was really excited when Liz Hicks asked me to participate and I knew that I would really have to stretch myself...it would mean that I had to define myself as an artist. It would mean that what I often take for granted I would have to be able to relay that information to you.

I started yesterday by sharing the four ideas that are the basis of my art....COLOR, SHAPE, NATURE & TECHNIQUES. I think it is important to know that I do have a very particular shape that I love to work with as it will show you why I was inspired by a particular artist and why. I love working in the round and have been since my early college days back in the early 70's {gulp!}...macrame done on old metal rings from lampshades, weavings done in the same manner, a round quilt in the 80's and several mixed-media round canvases today. Here are just a few to share:


                     


When I stumbled across the artist Jill Ricci I felt my heart sing, my jaw dropped open and I felt an immediate affinity to her art. Here's why ;)



~OR THIS~


After discovering Jill Ricci's art I then set out to find out as much as I could about her and how she creates...this is where the technique part comes in. Working with modern day images, found objects, beads and old world techniques such as Venetian Plaster and gold leaf she creates a bridge between the old and the new.

So from this inspiration I created this:



I was already comfortable working in the round and creating collages from magazines, adding texture with old pages but I never put these two ideas together...it was an aha! moment. You can see where I allowed the magazines pieces to actually become part of the background. I love Jill Ricci's use of the various quatrefoil shapes with the delicate seed beads applied around each one. I chose various colors from my mop tags, my collages from Polyvore and from scraps of Tattered Angels projects to create my quatrefoil shapes...with the help of Spellbinders 
Nestabilities Label 6. The metallic gold comes from Tim Holtz Paint Dabber in Metallic Gold that I stamped, scraped, stenciled onto to the finished piece.

I'm by no means done with this inspiration as I'm going to try my hand at Venetian Plaster and Gold Leaf. Tomorrow I will share a full list of everything I used to create this project and some close-ups but right now I want you to head over to my extremely talented friend Catherine Matthews-Scanlon's blog to see what she has created for this Virtual Gallery Walk.

If you are joinging us for the 1st time today I urge you to go back and check out the following artists and what they have created.




DAY 1


DAY 2
Kathy Cano-Murillo: http://www.craftychica.com/



I want to take this opportunity to thank Liz Hicks for this wonderful art collaboration. I believe that the more we share as artists the better we become at what we love to do. I want to thank Jill Ricci for her wonderful art and I'm so thankful to have found her via PINTREST. I would love to take a class with her and hope that someday that will happen!

Have a wonderful day and make sure you take this Virtual Gallery Tour!








9 comments:

  1. I have never seen Jill Riccis's work before but can see why you love it. I love what you did with the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, love what you made from your inspiration, as awesome and jaw dropping as Jill Rick that is for sure! So honored to share this gallery walk day with you! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness girl!!! I absolutely love your piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so interested to learn about your inspiration. I also enjoyed seeing more of your beautiful work and am so glad you participated in this virtual gallery walk and that I "discovered" you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the work you created from Jill Ricci's influence. I too love art in the "round" but haven't really been brave enough to try it. After today, I think its time!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...your not kidding , these pieces are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time here. I just discovered Jill Ricci and now you! Thanks for such great info and resources. My site is being redesigned for now rashelleroberts.com
    Keep it up! This is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also fell in love with Jill Ricci's work and love how you used it for inspiration. May I ask where you found the shapes? I love her repetitive exotic shapes and you also seem to have found them. My email is szukdavis@aol.com if you would be so kind as to send me information on this. I would love to try my hand at some collages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    Do you think that Jill Ricci uses the Cuddlebug for her shapes?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks I he{ART} hearing from you!