Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tattered Angels Love Stencils, Stamps & Masks

This month the Tattered Angels Design Team focused on how to use various stencils, screens & masks. I find that many of my projects start with this technique and I wanted to share what one looks like before I finish it. This is a great way to make your own resist paper. I started with a plain kraft brown cardstock and 3 different screens. The starburst and harlequin stencils are from The Crafters Workshop while the circles are from a piece of punchinella. I scrapped Claudine Hellmuth's Multi-Medium Matte over the stencils and allowed it to dry. I then Glimmer Misted and allowed the paint to drip randomly down my paper {I flipped the paper because I like the dips floating up. I really loved the effect of colors and the designs left where ever the Multi Medium resisted the mist. Cool, huh?
Here is the finished layout. I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Blackberry Cordial,Butternut SquashMallard and Snowy Pine to create the splashes of color. The mailing tag was what I moped the excess Glimmer Mist with, the chipboard from Out There Chippy received extra coats of the same Glimmer Mist used in the background and I applied the brass embellishments from Out There Trinkets with my ever faithful Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive and Liquid Scrap Dots. This is a really simple technique...just think...you can make your own mistable resist paper.My second project this month was the Pink Paislee Shadowbox. If you've been following this blog you know that Tattered Angels paint products and wood are a match made in heaven. Here is the completed project...it is going to be a gift for Christmas so I did not embellish the inside, leaving that to the gift recipient.
I started this project by covering the frame with a coat of Tattered Angels Butternut Squash Glimmer Mist. A Tattered Angels flourish screen was then placed down and misted with Blackberry CordialPumpkin SpiceMallard & Timberline. To define the opening I stamped using Archival Jet Black ink to insure the next layers of color would not bleed through. The inside of the shadowbox was covered with random sheet music and pages from a book using Helmar Decoupage & Craft Paste. I used the Harlequin stencil from Crafters Workshop and gesso to lay down another layer for texture. When dry Tattered Angels Nougat Glimmer Mist was applied and allowed to drip giving it a look of being old. The wooden cut-out embellishments from Kaisercraft were misted with Tattered Angels Chalkboard Mist in Fairway & Fern. I attached the wood and brass embellishments with Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive and then a final coat of the fabulous Twinkle Toes Glimmer Mist {oh my, if you haven't tried this yet then put it on your list}.
My last project was done on the reverse side of a Prima Mistable canvas sheet...I wanted to do a canvas but I didn't have one so I utilized this and applied it to a 12x12 canvas board with Helmar Premium Craft Glue...turned out to be a great solution and the Prima canvas is of such quality that I may have to by more just for that purpose!I used a Tattered Angels screen from the Bold Borders set and applied Rockin' on Sunshine Glimmer Glam over the screen and random swaths of it over the remaining canvas knowing it would resist further Glimmer Mists. I then use a Prima mask in the same area and lightly misted with Mallard Glimmer Mist. I stamped with the matching Tattered Angels Clear Stamp to finish. With random misting using Blackberry CordialPumpkin Spice &  Mallard Glimmer Mist I finished the background. I added a textured brick stamp to add texture and then I did a faux sewing technique to create the illusion of being sewn with black thread. To finish I used Prima Canvas letters sprayed with Butternut Squash and stenciled with Pumpkin Spice and Tim Holtz Grungeboard letters got a healthy coating of Mallard. The butterflies are cut out from Prima Mistable canvas misted and layered with the same colors as in the background and a coating ofTwinkle Toes Glimmer Glam applied. To complete the project a Prima Vine, May Arts Leaf Ribbon and the butterflies were attached with Helmar 450 Quick Dry Glue and Liquid Scrap Dots.
I'm thrilled with the way these 3 projects came out and I realized after the fact that the majority of Glimmer Mist & Chalkboard mists are from the Ltd. Ed. Fall 2011 Collection. Shows you the versatility of the colors and how different they look depending on how they are utilized.
Thanks for stopping by...hope you enjoyed  these projects !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks I he{ART} hearing from you!