Monday, February 11, 2013

The Whatevers #5 Catching Up...FINALLY

Have you been following along with The Whatevers...the brainchild of Vicki Chrisman, Nathalie Kalbach & Catherine Matthews Scanlon? I have but fell behind which caused me to be quite sad as this has been such a great challenge! If you haven't I've provided their blog links. So today I am determined to get caught up because this Fri., 2/15 will be the reveal for Photo #8.

Here's Photo #5 and my background story.




"I always knew when summer was coming to an end and I would soon be leaving Grandmas house.  Every summer in August we made an annual trip down to Hatteras, NC to visit a family friend. It was during the Annual DAY AT THE DOCKS celebration in Hatteras Village. This weekend trip was the signal that summer was rapidly coming to an end and I would have to leave to go back home.

Because Grandma didn’t have a car we rode the trolley along the ocean highway from Nags Head to Hatteras Village. I loved that ride where you could watch the waves roll in, see the seagulls flying about, occasionally spot a school of dolphins and smell the sweet ocean air. I also knew that I would have a chance to run around the carnival, riding the ponies, tasting sweet treats but the best part was that I would get a huge, piping hot bowl of HATTERAS CLAM CHOWDER. There was always a contest to see who made the best chowder…if you were the lucky one you held that honor for a full year until the next time.

After a day filled with fun and lots of good food we would spend the night at Cousin Tish’s house. She lived right on the beach and I loved listening to the sounds of the waves rolling in as I fell off to sleep."

Here's my journal page:



Recipe for Hatteras Style Clam Chowder

Here's the recipe:

Hatteras Style Clam Chowder

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
4 cups peeled, cubed white potatoes
2 (16 ounce) cans minced clams, with juice
3 quarts clam juice
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled

In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrots in oil until they begin to soften.   

Stir in potatoes, clams, clam juice, thyme, pepper and bacon.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. 


Ok so there is #5...now off to finish #6 and I have another great recipe to share with you ;)

LINK:

Have a great day ;)








5 comments:

  1. Martha -- this is AMAZING -- I really love the different elements you used -- very stunning! oh, and thanks for the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great page Martha - I love the story and the way you have designed it all. Gorgous layout and colours.

    Yes I am behind too - I've got a week in Ireland doing nothing in two weeks time, so I am going to take the photographs with me and my journal and a couple of pots of paint and hopefully catch up. I agree it has been a great challenge and one i didn't want to fall behind on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I loveeeeeeee the photo, the story and the map on your lo!! Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhhh... loving the gorgeous colors!! GReat design and what a cool idea with the recipe! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your journal Page! Love that you included a recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks I he{ART} hearing from you!